Edelman started measuring trust in 2000 and currently executes this yearly survey with more than 33.000 respondents in 28 countries.
Highlights from the 2016 presentation, which can be viewed here :
- distrusted companies have more difficulties with selling products, are criticized more often and negative opinions are more often shared, and shares are more often sold.
- NGO’s are more trusted than business, media and the government, a continuous trend since 2012
- According to 80% of the respondents, a company can take specific action that both increases profits and improve the economic and social conditions in the community
- adressing Societal expectations are important, through direct engagement of the CEO’s and via the media
- internal stakeholder alignment is important
- increasing distrust among mass population, possibly through the increasing democratization of information
- Engage cross channels to meet stakeholders, where they are, about what most interests them